[pct-l] Advise needed for yo-yo hike

Daniel Giddings backofthebarnbikes at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 22:02:24 CST 2014

Hey all,
Due to outside life issues I'm considering a yo-yo this year instead of a straight thru-hike.
The plan would be to start at Warner Springs with a few others, hike South to the Kick Off, get back to WS, hike to Kennedy Meadows, then get up to Manning Park to start Southbound. Following is an abridged, estimated timeline using Craig's PCT planner:
Manning Park 5/30; Snoqualmie 6/12; Bend 6/30; Crater Lake 7/8;
Etna 7/18; Truckee 8/8; Bridgeport 8/15; KM 8/31.
Theoretically I would be missing the worst of the bloodsuckers in WA (while getting more rain?), missing the snow in the Sierras (but enduring peak backpacker season) and simplifying gear swap-out between So-Cal, the rest of the trail and later bear canister areas.
Specific questions: are trail angels and trail services operating that early in WA and that late in Central CA? Are there any serious difficulties using NoBo oriented data for a SoBo hike? Any info/comments at all would be helpful.
-Doublecross