[pct-l] To waterproof or not to waterproof (ye old sleeping

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 28 12:52:58 CST 2014

Terry,

Thank you for giving me something to think about, before I act.
Between everyone responding to my query,
I have concluded that I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Even if a product is OK for Gore-Tex fabrics,
I'd rather not take the chance in diminishing the breathability
characteristic.
Truth be told, I bought a heavy trucker Kelty Scheel's Classic,
2 person tent, that is unfortunately super heavy (4lbs.-7ozs.)...
BUT- it is nearly indestructible.
Tested in the high sierras's biggest storms, I might add.
It lost it's "outer repellant coating" on the body and lower sides over the
course of 2 seasons of heavy use,
which is to be expected.
Thankfully, a $17.00 bottle of spray waterproofing will reinstate the
condition to nearly like new quality.
By the way, I'm replacing this tent in a month or two with a Big Agnes Fly
Creek UL 2,
dropping a whopping 2lbs.- 5ozs. in the process.

Thanks again,

<>Paint<>

Terry wrote:

>>> Paint,
Our bodies are constantly giving off carbon dioxide and once it leaves your
body,
it starts to cool and attract moisture.
If you were to waterproof the outside of your sleeping bag,
you will be trapping that moisture and have a soaking wet sleeping bag in
the morning.
Except the outside.
Sent from my iPhone <<<