[pct-l] sleeping bag vs quilt

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sun Jan 5 11:40:06 CST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Mike Cunningham <hikermiker at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I also toss & turn quite a lot. I have used a sleeping bag for years & unless it is very cold I keep my head out.
> Last year I got a quilt & down hood. I found that the quilt does get drafty. This is good at warmer temperatures.

When the cult figure Jardine started the quit fad, he was traveling
with his significant other. In my experience a quit works really well
for sharing warmth with someone you like having lots of skin contact
with.

Like many other Jardine-isms, I think it has been taken to absurd
extremes. I see no benefit over a traditional bag for a solo hiker.

That being said, do what you want, HYOH, and YMMV.

And pack some corn pasta with that, and leave your sleeping pad behind.