[pct-l] Extra oil that you carry

Marian Harmon marianharmon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 22:41:40 CST 2014

"...we had a completely snow-free passage through the  Sierras this year.
 If you're hiking through snow every day you'll  obviously burn more
calories than we did."

By the looks of things, as of now, it might be completely snow free this
year as well. :(

Something I've seen done that worked out... Carry nuts and seeds as snacks.
If you're really wanting some oil for flavor in a meal, roast/toast some of
those nuts or seeds  for 15-30 mins depending on your set up, then use a
couple of rocks to crush them into a powder. Think mortar and pestle.
before cooking your meal add the powder to a little water and boil or to
make a paste/coating. You can separate the oil out if you wish, or simply
use the whole thing in your meal for whatever you might be making. The guy
who I saw do it (my uncle) did it with almonds and he used the crushed
almonds, mixed with a little cold water and and then let sit for 24 hours.
The following day he used the almond water/paste as a drizzle/topping for
some rehydrated chicken and vegetables . He told me that almond oils is
great for using in areas where you can't have fire, because the almond oil
changes taste if heated too much and a little goes a very long way.

Finally... lentil sprouts. YUM! Good source of protein, a nice snack and as
marmot noted and nice crisp addition to wraps and such.