[pct-l] Planning the PCT in Oregon

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Wed Jan 8 16:15:25 CST 2014

Hi, Lisette:

I re-hiked the OR PCT last August--I did first it in 1984. You can get
a Greyhound bus to Ashland. AMTRAK also gets to Ashland, but via
Klamath Falls and a bus ride to Ashland. The Medford Airport is also
only 20 minutes away, with bus service to Ashland that will stop close
to the Ashland Youth Hostel.There are many Trail Angels in Ashland
(check at the Ashland Youth Hostel or the Ashland Outdoor Store) who
can give you a lift to where the trail crosses I-5 by Callahan's
Restaurant, which is about 12 miles south of Ashland. At Cascade Locks
I used an airport shuttle to get to the Portland airport--$68. I think
there maybe trail angels available, too. You could access a rental car
at the airport.

I recommend not bothering with a bear canister. I didn't carry one and
had no problems. I carried a length of nylon cord to hang my food bag
and only did that once in Crater Lake National Park in a backcountry
campsite, not Mazama Campground--which has bear boxes. Hanging food or
having a bear canister was only required in the backcountry campsite.

We cached water at Hwy 138 north of Crater Lake National Park. There
was an extremely long dry section between Crater Lake and Thielsen
Creek. There was also a public cache at Hwy 138, but you shouldn't
count on it. Some people destroyed it right before we got there. Our
water was hidden, so it was safe. I don't remember any other dry
sections of note that we couldn't change our hiking pattern to avoid.
There is a public cache at Mackenzie pass maintained by a trail
angel--don't know if she will do it this year.

We re-supplied at Fish Lake, Mazama Campground in Crater Lake National
Park, Odell Lake (Shelter Cove), Sisters, Olallie Lake, Timberline
Lodge. I sent all my food ahead except for lunch stuff that I bought
at the places we stayed. I live in Ashland, so took advantage of the
good stores there to start out. If you aren't picky and don't mind the
expense, you could buy more of your re-supply foods at Mazama
Campground store, Shelter Cove and Olallie Lake. Olallie Lake was for
sale, so may not be available for hikers in the future. Most places
don't have outgoing mail for boxes--so I only sent a bounce box to
Sisters. I stayed at the Sister's Inn and Suites, and I sent my
re-supply to them to avoid having to conform to post office hours.

I really recommend splurging and staying a night at Timberline Lodge.
The rooms and food are fantastic and the scenery is amazing. I also
coordinated my trip to end at Cascade Locks for the annual PCT Days
the first weekend in September. It was fun--great vendors and
presentations right on the Columbia river.

I just used the usual for maps and guidebooks--Halfmile's maps, PCT
data book from the PCTA website, Yogi's town guide and I downloaded a
PDF of the classic Wilderness Press guidebook on my e-reader. I also
carried US Forest Service maps for info on surrounding areas to the
trail in case of fire closures.

I do seem to remember some problems with addresses when we were
sending out our re-supply boxes through UPS--some of them had changed
from Yogi's Guide--the computer at UPS didn't recognize some of the
addresses--I had to call up the various places and get exact addresses
that worked. It is always important to call any re-supply place before
the summer to get updated hours and shipping info. Many places in
Oregon do not have USPS service--you have to use UPS, so you need an
exact street address.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have any other questions. If I
am available, I would be glad to trail angel for you. I have put out
water caches for people at Hwy 138 and given rides to Callahan's. I am
thinking of doing the CDT through Colorado in August, but may be
available before then.

--Fireweed