[pct-l] Extra oil that you carry

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 00:56:49 CST 2014

Hey Mademoiselle,

I used a 1 quart, heavy duty, freezer quality zip lock bag for the entire
CDT in 2012 and never had a leak.  That one bag made it to Canada with me.
 I did it also on a 3 week re-hike of Washington's Cascades in 2011 and a
Grand Canyon hike.  Those bags are very tough if properly closed.

I put a half a cup or so of my favorite yogurt in the zip lock with however
much Nido and water I feel like I want for the next day, (somewhat like
cream in consistency) close the ziplock and then fold the bag in a 6" x 10"
piece of mylar insulation for protection and then put that little mylar
sandwich in a small black nylon bag.  I sleep with it in my sleeping bag at
night so that my body heat cultures the yogurt.  Next day I put the black
nylon bag on top of my pack under the black nylon of my ULA so the sun
warms it, or on cold days, carry it in my shirt pocket under my jacket to
continue the body heat culturing.  In grizzly country I don't sleep with
it, opting for culturing it only during the day and will go with a bit
thinner yogurt rather than becoming bear bait.  Proper temperature for
culturing yogurt is 95 to 110 degrees.  At home, when I can keep the
temperature near 110 it takes 3 to 6 hours.   On trail, at 98.6, it takes
about 24 hours.  So I start a new batch every day.

When I'm ready to start soaking my breakfast, which I do after dinner each
day, the yogurt is ready to eat, sour and delicious.  I pour it on my
breakfast at that point, the night before, so the whole thing is ready to
eat in the morning.  I then start a new batch using what sticks to the
inside of the ziplock as starter for the next batch.  My first yogurt starter
lasted 3 months or so and then began to taste a bit like milk wine.  Wild
yeasts had begun to win the battle with the yogurt bacteria and I simply
bought some fresh store yogurt and started the culture again.  It is sooo
much better than straight up Nido every day and so easy to make.

I use a ziplock for culturing the yogurt because it is soft to sleep with
and to keep in my shirt pocket.  Diane and Yoshihiro did fine using plastic
jars this past summer.  The only important thing about culturing yogurt is
to be able to keep it somewhat warm for an extended period of time, at
least until it tastes like yogurt.

Shroomer