[pct-l] Mountain Fire Closure

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 20:33:50 CST 2014

Hat tip to Hikin Jim- because... he provided a great Cal. topo. map. I was just viewing it, trying to follow Hwy. 74 into Idyllwild.

Here goes...

>From the PCT intersection with HWY 74 (Pines to Palms HWY) take the dirt road / trail, running underneath the power lines,

and west / southwest of HWY 74, running NW to Paradise Cafe. Cross the road (HWY 371) heading in a NW direction.

Take the trail that lies parallel to Hwy 74, NW to Table Mnt. Rd., then turn to the right onto Hop Patch Springs Rd.,

which heads north, then east, curling 180 degrees clockwise to the south into Devil’s Ladder Rd., where on the left (north side of the curl)

will be a jeep road / trail, west of Hwy 74, running in a NW direction to an intersection of HWY 74 and Table Mnt. Rd.,

which intersects HWY 74, from the west. Continue west on Table Mnt. Rd., to a trail on the right (first lane encountered is a dead end road) that drops down into Hemet Lake’s SW shore.

Proceed around the lake picking up another trail which becomes a dirt road heading NE, circling the lake and intersecting / crossing HWY 74.

Either take Herkey Creek / old PCT route up Jacinto, eventually intersecting the PCT (providing the USFS opens this lane)

or road walk HWY 74 NW, to May Valley Rd., (providing the USFS opens this lane) then hike NE on May Valley Rd.,

or continue hiking along side Hwy 74, taking it into Happy Valley / Idyllwild.

IS THAT CLEAR AS MUD?

OK- some trail hiking and some road walking, which isn’t all that unusual... come to think of it.

PS Have you ever seen so many commas used in your adult lives?

At your service,

<>PaintYW<>