[pct-l] Understanding halfmile's maps

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Jan 14 09:32:14 CST 2014

> Is there any...
Legend maybe? Explanation what the symbols, colors, hatchures, lines are
supposed
> to tell me. Is there anything like that?

The following should have more than you need to know for symbols on USGS topo maps:
<http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/TopographicMapSymbols/topomapsymbols.pdf>

> I am particulary interested in the red lines...

I 'believe' (??) you're referring to "Section" lines, & the thicker ones are "Township" & "Range" lines from the
Public Lands Survey System (PLSS)...
In a 'perfect' world a "Township" is a 6 miles by 6 miles square, resulting in 36 "sections" in a Township...
But it's NOT a perfect world - so 'adjustments' have to be made here & there, thus some lines are not
'square' and some Sections are not a full mile tall or wide...
Check out <http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/boundaries/a_plss.html> for a better, complete explanation -
or Google "PLSS" for other websites...

> ...usually rectangular areas with darker colors?

Not 'positive' - most seem to relate to 'ownership', though there is much more 'private' (non-public) land that is
not shaded, however - perhaps when Halfmile is no longer 'busy' updating the maps for 2014 he can answer that.

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)