[pct-l] 2014 Snow, Water and Start Date

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Jan 14 16:31:29 CST 2014

Great point, Jen, regarding entering the sierra early enough to get to
Canada before the snow flies!

If it were said that there are "bookends" to the summer's thru-hiking
season, they are only powder snow at either end.

Leave the southern border early enough to reach Canada by mid-September (per
the Manning PP Rangers). Pay attention to your use/misuse of time along the
way to assure this (time off trail and too many zeros). Did you hear
Jennifer's sadness/disappointment at being denied reaching the border
because of snow? That's real! Enjoy your hike, but pay attention to your
schedule if you want to complete your dream in one shot.

Yes, there are benefits to leaving the southern border "early!" You might
have more water flowing on/near the trail in SoCal and cooler air temps for
more enjoyable hiking during the sunny days. These two plusses can add up to
a big deal for the hiker fresh out of the blocks and still getting used to
hiking day-in and day-out! Don't burn out early trying to accomplish more
than you body can accept (heat, physical exhaustion, too many miles too
early, not enough days off for the body to heal, etc.).

For a personal reference, I left the Mexican border March 14th and had no
water, heat, snow, or dust issues in SoCal. Yes, I did have a few really
cold nights, but that was it. I did have snow all the way from Kennedy
Meadows to Oregon, but I just got used to it, enjoyed the snow-bridge
crossings of the big creeks and the fun slides off the passes, and learned
to navigate in the trees when I couldn't see the trail. My daily mileage
dropped in half and my food intake doubled over snow, but I got caught up to
my trip's schedule through Oregon and Washington where I had dry-trail to
fly over. (Luckily, I had planned on a trip average of 17 miles per day and
a day off every 5 days, so I had room work with!) I arrived at Manning
September 2.

The northern "bookend" is more important than the southern one for
north-bound folks because of the likelihood of hike-termination due to fresh
powder snowfall after mid-September. How fast you like/want to hike, how
many zeros you need, and how you manage your use of time will dictate when
you start from the south.

The presence of powder snow at the southern end, the "southern bookmark," is
usually consolidated enough to walk on, rather than through, by March 1st,
so that becomes the real, minimal-hazard start date. You can learn how to
deal with it or just walk around it.

Our students ask, "If I plan on leaving that early, won't I have feet of
snow through the sierra?" Yes, you might, but as we tell them, "It doesn't
matter whether you have 8 inches or 8 feet of snow underfoot, you walk on it
the same way." Don't fear snow. Slow down and enjoy it! Don't wait for it
all to melt, either, like you're afraid of it. It will put your Canadian
arrival date too late. Learn how to deal with your obstacles/hazards before
you see them (building your confidence) and you will have a happier, safer
thru hike in the end.

Weather and on-trail conditions-wise, if you seek the ideal, you may have to
wait a while!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org