[pct-l] Cal/ ounce, nutrition

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 14 16:41:31 CST 2014

I have been using the free app MyFitnessPal as a quick way to get nutrition and calorie figures for my hiking food. The daily totals show fat/carbs/protein as a pie graph. It also shows nutrition for the "day". My hiking food is low on vit C and A so I trying to find easy ways to get them into my diet.  The percent of total daily calories allotted to sugars (my sugars are all from fruits) is really low and my fruit consumption exceeds that allotment without candy bars, but Snickers will still be in my pack!

On thru hikes we had usually been concerned with daily calories and tried to balance nutrition with town food. That system worked until Idaho. The first town stop was after 675 miles and I ended up too anemic to donate blood when I got home. It took months to build my iron up.

I also read t he best seller, Fat Chance by Robert Lustig. My choice of foods changed lots after reading his book!

This hike I am watching on trail nutrition closely.