[pct-l] Cal/ ounce, nutritionu

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:27:34 CST 2014

Wise words... and I agree that Lustig's books are excellent.  I think he has
more wisdom about the American diet than anyone else I have read.  One
caveat though - most of what he writes about is directed to the "average"
American.  He is not directing his attention to thru hikers.  What happens
to the body of a sedentary desk worker is far different than what happens to
someone burning 4000 - 6000 calories a day on a regular basis. So some
"adaptation" of his advice is required...

This whole discussion seems like it is coming from two polar opposites -
those that feel that "nutrition" (vitamins, protein, fiber, etc) is all
important and those that feel that calories are all important.  Of course
the answer (as usual) is somewhere in the middle.  Everyone has to find what
works best for them.  Hopefully we can be flexible enough to do that.

Happy eatin'
Timberline

<<  On thru hikes we had usually been concerned with daily calories and
tried to balance nutrition with town food. That system worked until Idaho.
The first town stop was after 675 miles and I ended up too anemic to donate
blood when I got home. It took months to build my iron up.

I also read t he best seller, Fat Chance by Robert Lustig. My choice of
foods changed lots after reading his book!  >>