[pct-l] Camera weight

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:38:10 CST 2014

Advice here about the importance of having an *accessible* camera is right
on, as is the observation that racking up serious miles isn't always
compatible with fine photography. But if you can't bear to part with your
DSLR, there is a solution. Back in the 70s and 80s, I comfortably carried
my SLR (no D!) using a Necksaver Harnastrap. It's like an ordinary camera
neck strap, except that it has an extra strap across the chest that
attaches to the tripod mount. That keeps the camera against your chest and
keeps it from swinging. It's easy to unsnap the camera from the chest strap
and raise it to your eye. Easier, in fact, than getting any point-and-shoot
out of your pocket. (It might not work so well if your pack has a sternum
strap, however.)

AFAIK, they're no longer made, but they show up for sale once in a
while...like here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NECKSAVER-HARNASTRAP-CAMERA-STRAP-/170923958085 Check
out the pictures on this listing to get an idea of how the thing works.

There may be something newer and better available, but I can still highly
recommend this old strap for hiking with an SLR.

Nearly 40 years later, pictures from my PCT hike are still among my
all-time favorites. If you enjoy photography, go for the good camera!

Cheers,
Carl
1977 Kelty Kid