[pct-l] Cal/ ounce, nutritionu

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 08:40:41 CST 2014

There is little difference between shopping along the way and buying
from home since a grocery store is a grocery store. So, if you will
be buying your food from a regular grocery store, buying along the
way from any town that has a regular grocery store and shipping ahead
from the trail to any store that doesn't have one is the healthy,
easy option. All you need is a list of the towns with the big grocery
stores. Yogi has that.

That sounds daunting and risky because you have no idea how much food
you need. But once you get out there you'll see that it's much the
same as regular life. You'll know how many days it'll take you to get
somewhere and you'll just stock your "pantry".

If you follow Jeffrey's cooking method of a starchy substrate, a
binder, a soup, some goodies and fat, then the healthiest option
would be to determine which of those ingredients cannot be found in
an ordinary grocery store and then make sure you have prepared boxes
for these items in advance. If you send too much, you can either
ditch the extra in a hiker box or mail it ahead to yourself up the
trail or send it back home. If you send too little, it'll work out.