[pct-l] 2014 Snow, Water and Start Dat

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jan 15 10:12:57 CST 2014

Though it is not snowing right now, it is the winter season where storms do
dump feet and not inches of snow when they arrive. I would not want to be
out there when the typical 5-foot dump rolls in prepared with only a 30
degree bag and a summer tent hoping for the best!

We have run many trips in the past during Jan-March when just this happened.
If you haven't seen the pictures of buried tents and waist-deep snow (while
on snowshoes), you need to look at some of our posts on Facebook. This does
and regularly has happened during the winter months. If you are prepared for
this type of event, going through one can be quite fun, but for the unwise,
they can be deadly.

Even though the high country looks more like Fall, with only a little snow
at high altitudes and on north sides, don't go up there hoping for the best;
it is winter, after all, and the mountains make their own weather, as well!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org