[pct-l] Plea for Fire Safety 2014

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 16:36:26 CST 2014

I don't think fire safety cautions can be overstated. I hope that the
Kickoff leadership and the PCTA take an even stronger stand on this topic
in 2014.

PLEASE be careful with cooking stoves on the trail, especially in SoCal.

Going stoveless has many benefits which have been described thoroughly by
others on this list. I hope this year's hikers will strongly consider it.

As for campfires, unless you really need one for survival, DON'T build one,
even if you are camped in a spot where they are allowed.

Leave-no-trace ethics benefit everyone and everything, on the trail and off.

Jim Ostdick
Palomino
San Juan Bautista CA