[pct-l] Cal/ ounce, nutritionu

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 17 06:49:30 CST 2014

All,
Based on an average caloric intake of about 4200C/day, you quickly find that your dietary needs are NOT the same as a typical USA citizen at 2000C/day. Basically, you need about the same percentage of proteins/amino acids in your diet, or, roughly about 6-8oz of meat/fish/beans per day. Vitamins remain close to the recommended 2000C levels, since they are usually used as catalysts in the body. Minerals are increased, quite a bit, especially salt and calcium, due to the rigors of hiking. Many minerals/trace elements are also used in metabolic activities, especially mitochondrial processes used to produce energy. And a much large number of sugars/starches are needed to maintain the increased level of energy utilized. Fats are metabolized slower and are good for maintaining long term energy needs as well as to transport various fat soluble vitamins/antibodies/white blood cells throughout the body.

I usually figure around 100-120C/oz for proteins and carbs. I usually figure about 60C/oz for fresh veggies, about 100C/oz for dehydrated veggies. Fats/oils (lipids) I usually figure around 200C/oz. I believe Frito's or Corn Curls have about 160C/oz for an example.

About 500C of high protein food, about 500C of mixed veggies, and, 500C of some fatty foods is generally enough to keep you in good health. The rest is whatever. You will just burn them as energy.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm