[pct-l] Plea for Fire Safety 2014

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 11:24:36 CST 2014

I never thought I'd consider going stoveless since I love a hot meal (and
pasta), but after this summer I've definitely come around to the idea.  If
we hadn't put so much work into our meals ahead of time we probably would
have made the switch after Tahoe.  On days when we were trying to move
especially fast we'd usually skip cooking lunch anyhow.

Never once had a fire while backpacking (PCT or otherwise) and never once
felt it was a hardship.  All I ever wanted to do was crawl into my bag, eat
my snacks and maybe do a little reading.  I think we were under burn
bans from Campo to Yosemite at least plus large sections north of there.
We passed more than one campsite where hikers had obviously built a fire
and did not ensure it was doused cold.

JZ