[pct-l] Eating where you sleep

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 17 15:15:23 CST 2014

On Jan 17, 2014, at 11:22 AM, Doug Swam <doug.swam at outlook.com> wrote:

Eating where you sleep? What happened to keeping interesting smells in your bear/food bag a ways away from your sleeping area? Is it bravado, skill or lack of knowledge? I'm confused.

The rationale for eating and sleeping in the same area is that thru hikers stealth camp in areas where bears have not found the food previously and are not traveling to, expecting food.

We have always eaten at our tent and slept with our food except in areas where bear canisters or hanging food is required. While stealth camping we have never had a bear, or other animal, incident at our tent. When we have camped in a site that has been used by previous campers we have had problems with mice.

For me, choosing a tent site, erecting the tent, cooking in the doorway, and climbing in my sleeping bag within a half hour is the height of luxury. Aahh, that is one of the reasons I backpack.