[pct-l] Rehydrating food versus cooking

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 17 20:18:37 CST 2014

We carried Fideo cortata that cooks in five minutes. It is about the same thickness as angel hair past. It is raw and needs heat to become palatable! I tried rehydrating it after running out of fuel and it was a horrible gluey mess. Hot chocolate with milk does not mix well in cold water but stays lumpy and grainy. Perhaps they needed more soaking time but I thought they were both disgusting.

I am going stoveless this year. Neither is on my menu.

BTW, we have never had a campfire while hiking. Our first hikes were in the Sierra where signs prohibit fires above a certain elevation, either 9000' or 9600' because the environment takes a very long time to replace the burned wood. After thinking about that, it seemed to make sense to forgo all campfires, especially in the arid West.