[pct-l] Plea for Fire Safety 2014

Carol museumgirl at me.com
Fri Jan 17 23:24:19 CST 2014

Well you just put that whole skipping through the daisies hiker meme out to pasture, Diane. We're all ready to be beaten to a pulp now.

;0) In all seriousness, it's good to put our "head pictures" of the trail (and the future in general) to rest. Were picturing pristine mountain meadows, or high desert passes, or crystal mountain lakes. We all have a tendency lock on to mental images that we get from photos of the trail or great PCT stories we've heard. But the truth of the trail is this: Hike Your Own Hike is such great advice because no matter how well one plans, no two hikes are ever the same. The world is too big, the PCT too long. Your Hike is waiting for you. You can hike it, or you can try to hike someone else's. If you Hike Your Own Hike, it will be great. Hike someone else's hike, and you will be disappointed every time.

So Diane, your point is well taken: A long hike is not all sunny meadows and cricket-filled conifer forests. If we think that conditions will always be conducive to firing up a stove, we're fooling ourselves.

Carol

Sent from my iPhone