[pct-l] Water Cache

Johanna Santore johanna.santore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 12:21:04 CST 2014

I stock the water cache at Swarthout Canyon, keep some water in year around
but not checking it regularly until April. I initially buy about 24 gallons
of water to stock, but last year washed and refilled the bottles, because
being retired, could not afford to purchase hundreds of gallons of water.
 I used good tasting well water and it worked out fine.  I do like it when
there are hikers at the cache that can help me carry the bottles in.  And I
like it when they leave the empty bottles, and not crush them up and stick
them in the trash can I provide.  Ended up buying quite a few more bottles
last year.  When the "crowds" start coming thru, I do check the water
daily, and sometimes twice a day when I have time.  Don't live too far away
and am happy to help out.  The box was not consistently  stocked for
several years.  My son hiked most of the trail 2 years ago, all but the
last 100 miles when he injured his ankle, and we found out how important
the caches are to the hikers, more so this year with the drought.