[pct-l] Big Sky Tents

Sue Kettles sue.kettles at comcast.net
Tue Jan 21 12:56:48 CST 2014

I love my Rainbow Tarptent.  It has the most room and headroom of any 1
person tent I have used.  What I have a love/hate relationship with, is the
venting on top of the bathtub floor surrounding the whole bottom of the
tent- which most often is wonderful, but in a rain-storm, it lets in water
and a lot of dirt and sand when the wind is blowing fiercely in southern
cal.  There is nothing like waking up with your eyes crusted closed with
dirt and sand.  Ahhhhhh - life on the trail....such fond memories   :-)
I have tried to baton it down really good - and that helps some, but nothing
like a double wall tent does.

So -   I am wondering why someone can't make a double walled free standing
tent that is 40 inches high, and 36 to 40 inches wide, with a sil-ny rainfly
to make it lighter, -  and weigh around 2 1/2 lbs?  And not cost  over
250.00.   Is that too much to ask? Maybe its out there and I just don't know
what it is?

I realize that in thru-hiking you can't have everything.  We are there to
walk - not camp.  A perfect day and the feeling of wonder is not in our lack
of pain or comfort, but in the beauty of just being out there.

 I love many of the other double walled tents that are made in that range -
but they are always about 36 inches high ....and often about 30 in wide...
some as skinny as 28 inches.  What's the deal?  What about us tall people
who sleep on neo-air that gives the need for 2 more inches in height?  And
don't like to wake up with our noses in the wall?   I am not a cowboy camper
- I love my "home" at night.  Its just what I prefer.

I was just wondering.....