[pct-l] Sufficient snow for Snow Basics?

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jan 22 11:10:59 CST 2014

Mojubee,

Is there enough snow right now to teach Snow Basics?

Most of the skills/wisdom we teach can be taught on very little snow. What
we have out there right now looks more like a nasty case of lingering Fall
before Winter sets in:
- lots of ice on-trail,
- frozen lakes,
- sub-freezing days and temps to the teens or lower at night,
- snow on north sides up to 2 feet at 8,000, and
- some trail visibility.

Just getting around safely in that kind of environment necessitates some
prior experience dealing with it! In our local (Tahoe) Search & Rescue
training, we spend a fair amount of time covering:
- working in sub-freezing temperatures,
- sleeping/camping on snow/ice,
- anticipating staying warm & dry all the time (don't sweat),
- traction and balance control to prevent falls and becoming another injured
needing rescue,
- route finding and route selection,
- avalanche awareness & avoidance, and so on.

So, any kind of experience/skills training that you can get before you're on
your own is priceless for your well-being, confidence, security, and
enjoyment of where you are. Don't rely on others, once out there, to lead
the way or teach you what you need to do because they may not know or even
be there when you need the skill or advice! CYA and get experience dealing
with the known and anticipated hazards ahead.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org