[pct-l] This Year's Going to Be Awesome! Woo!

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 08:50:22 CST 2014

Thank you Prof Errant.

Let me add that over the years I have done many trips where I brought
ALL the water I needed for 2-3 days of backpacking, camping, and
trail work. Yes, it's heavy. No, you don't get to hydrate yourself
with abandon, wash your dishes and do your laundry. Remember, our
ability to function well under mild dehydration is what gave humans
an evolutionary advantage over other animals. To be thirsty is not to
die quite yet.

Also, don't forget that in So Cal at least, many of the water sources
are man-made. If you don't believe me, look at last year's water
report and see how many pipe springs and cattle troughs there are.
Not to mention tanks, guzzlers (water sources set up for wildlife)
and towns. You can get a whole day on water filled up in town and on
your last day before town, you only need enough water to get to town.

Please everybody, do not rely on caches to resupply your water. Only
use them to get to the next water source, just enough to get there
and only if you are running too low to get there. I have met too many
hikers on section hikes who think cattle troughs and guzzlers are
gross and only use caches for their water.