[pct-l] snow inNorthern CA

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 09:13:17 CST 2014

Many of these seldom-used water sources were noted in the wilderness
press guide books.

Everyone seems so worried, but I swear to you that learning water
management and how to prepare good stoveless meals and how to deal
with all these things that will come up makes you into an awesome
backpacker. Nothing will phase you. You'll come back home to your
buddies and go for a little trip and wonder why they are so worried
about finding a campsite by 2pm or whatever other strange fears they
have. You'll be right at home in the dry and dusty.

You'll love the arid climate of So Cal, it's so comfortable to hike
in the dry air. It's not always hot, it gets real cold at night so
the early morning hours are so nice for hiking and once the sun goes
over the edge, it starts to cool immediately. There's often a breeze
that pops up to cool you off during the day.

I personally do not like to hike at night because I find it
impossible to sit around being hot and doing nothing during the day.
It's worse if you watch other hikers continuing on. Unless you have a
really nice shady place to sit around, there's just no relief during
the day. Might as well generate a soft breeze on your face by hiking.