[pct-l] Nite Hiking and Flashlights

Ken Murray kmurray at dr.com
Fri Jan 24 11:42:04 CST 2014

"Any recommendations for a lightweight flashlight that's powerful enough for night hiking? I've been using a BlackDiamond Ion, but it doesn't create enough light for me to hike at night."I am another enjoyer of nite hiking. As others have said, not for everyone. In terms of a flashlight, I'd advocate fora headlamp, not a flashlight. Has to be LED, because of power consumption. I prefer to wear it on TOP of my hat with a brim,so it will not have any light hitting my eyes, and preservesmy night vision to some degree. I use it on the lowest setting. But the nuanced night hiker is not attemptingto bring daylight to the night, but rather is trying to touchthe night with just enough light to hike safely. As you do it, you need less and less lighting, and I actually do most of mine with no lighting. Great practice is the Sierra Club night hikes in Griffith Park, where they ban lights of any kind. 2 hours everytu, wed, thurs nites. When you get used to hiking by ambient light,it is a real joy.