[pct-l] stove question..

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Jan 25 20:49:54 CST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Jake Handy <jakers329 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> i read on pcta.org today that due to extremely dry conditions in California that alcohol stoves will be banned in most sections of the PCT in 2014, and that I should switch to contained canister style stove.<

The PCTA said "much of the trail" NOT "most of the trail." There IS a
difference.

The thing to remember is that each agency has their own regulations
for the piece of land they manage, and there are several levels of
fire restriction that they may, or may not, impose. The fire/stove
restrictions in So-Cal will be different from the Sierra, and from
OR/WA. For example, right now, Cleveland National Forrest (the most
southern agency and one that often restricts stoves) does allow alky
stoves. Who knows if they will in May.

It is also difficult to know the fire restrictions in currently in
place, especially since a thru hikers travels from one jurisdiction to
another without any markings on the trail indicating that, and that
the controlling agencies may change them without notice.

Another thing to remember is that you will be traveling from the
scorching deserts in So-Cal in May to the rain in Washington state in
September. I didn't cook in the deserts of SoCal because I got hot
food from the sun. I did cook in the Sierra in the freezing conditions
of the high snow year of when I hiked. There were one time, after an
unexpected swim at a river crossing, where I survived only because I
was able to light a fire.

The "right equipment" changes. I suggest you know what the real rules
are, pay attention to what the real dangers are, whether from fire
danger, or hypothermia, and that you make the right decision for you.

Be safe, be sane. HYOH.