[pct-l] Why California's Trails Are Disappearing From Our Maps

Ken Murray kmurray at dr.com
Sun Jan 26 22:43:21 CST 2014

"You bring up a good question Eric but, I just don't recall any of last years PCT hikers complaining about route finding on that section of the trail. Also, when you consider the amount of foot traffic that section gets every summer and looking at the landscape surrounding the trail in the section, I have a difficult time buying into the author basically saying the PCT was disappearing before our own eyes. I do agree with, and saw first hand that the trail in Sequoia NF isn't up to the standards of the NP's next door but, to say its in horrific shape isn't what I experienced, nor understand from the hikers from earlier in the season. Terry"Terry, you might look at my last post, in which there is a link to pictures. You might also ask Tom Figeroa, the Kennedy Meadows Trail Angel, who came out and worked with us. Tom hikes that trail morethan anyone, many times a summer, and on one of our crews that he was leading, he lost the trail, and led the group off the PCT and down a game trail for a few hours.Terry, you have a misunderstanding of the foot traffic each year on this section. Once you get pastthe first bridge, basically very few but thrus use the trail, and the same is true all the way to Trail Pass. There just are no destinations to hike to for most people, and water is an issue.