[pct-l] storing food?

Terry tsparks56 at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 21:17:02 CST 2014

Hi Jake,
From my some what limited experience of hiking the PCT (roughly 400 miles), I never worried about bears or my food except when I was hiking Sequoia/ KC and Yosemite.  I didn't have a problem while hiking thru those areas but, it was always in my thought process.  Like you, I will be a thru this year and because of the abnormal weather, with bears out of hibernation as we speak, hiking through the NP's, in my mind,  will need attention to detail regarding safe food storage.
Being from Southern California and hiking many miles of trail in the region, I see no real need, nor concern, about protecting my food from bears until arriving at KM.
Quite frankly, the last 3 bears I encountered locally, all ran from me at about 30 mph from just the smell of me. Then again, sometimes my wife does that too.

To be safe (and required) take a bear can with you into the Sierra and if there are bear problems North of the traditional problem spots, word will get out on the trail while hiking and, we all may need to adjust to that need this year.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone