[pct-l] mechanical clearing of trail

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 14:34:02 CST 2014

Cross-cut sawyering is an art form. The way they cut the log so the
pieces fall away off the trail just perfectly and all that. You can cut
a huge tree with a cross-cut saw.

Trouble with chain saws and weedwackers is that they can start fires. A
huge swath of Santa Barbara was burned because of people using
weedwackers on the trail. A few people I know lost their houses (and
their musical instruments).

There must be exceptions to the wilderness rules because of what I saw
with the bridge crew on the Suiattle. They not only had dynamite but
also generators and power tools.