[pct-l] New Mountain Education videos on YouTube!

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:27:23 CDT 2014

Ned -

Yes, I realize that you are not teaching rock climbing, but I suspect the
permit laws discussed below still apply.

The following passage is quoted from “Rock Climbing The AMGA Single Pitch
Manual” by Bob Gaines and Jason Martin.  Copyright May 20, 2014.  Jason is
on the AMGA Board of Directors.  I’m pretty sure he knows what he’s talking
about!

-----------------------------------
“Operating on public lands without a permit is breaking the law and could
result in a wide array of consequences.  These range from a minor citation
to a significant fine or even an arrest.  In some cases it is possible to
be permanently banned from public lands for willfully disregarding land-use
regulations.

There are two main questions that an individual or an organization should
ask to determine whether or not a land-use permit is required:

(1) DID THE PARTICIPANTS PAY TO ENGAGE IN THE ACTIVITY?  Did they pay any
fee at all?  Were they asked to pay tuition for the course or guided days?
 Were they asked to submit a donation to the program?  Are they required to
rent equipment from the operation in order to participate?  If the answer
to any of these questions is yes, then the land manager should be contacted
to determine if a commercial-use permit is required.

(2) ARE THE INSTRUCTORS GETTING PAID TO RUN THE PROGRAM OR PROVIDE
INSTRUCTION?  If the instructors receive any kind of compensation, then
they or the organization will need to obtain a permit.  Compensation could
mean an hourly or daily wage, a stipend, meals, or even “free” equipment.
 Nearly any type of compensation outside of a thank-you constitutes
commercial use.”
So, Ned, your site has a “Cost” section, in which you state: “Suggested
contribution $300 per person.”  That seems like more than a thank-you to me.

Yogi
www.yogisbooks.com