[pct-l] Snow in Oregon

Vimal Golding bungovi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:29:09 CDT 2014

Thanks for the update Dennis,

I'm hiking from Etna to Manning this summer, started June 1st at Etna
Summit and am now resupplying and hanging out with some friends near bend
(got off at Mackenzie Pass Hwy 242). Here are the conditions I saw:

Etna to Crater Lake: Almost entirely snow free. Trail clear and easily
followed.

Crater Lake to Shelter Cove Resort: Crater lake rim very snowy, but the
road is open. You can still walk the trail if you don't mind walking on
snow. Dropping down the north side the trail became tricky to follow.
Climbing up Thielsen the trail was tricky to follow, long periods on snow.
Tipsoo Pass (OR/WA high point) was completely snowed in (Jun 25) and took
all of my map and compass skill plus a sloppy wet kiss from lady luck to
end up on the trail coming down the other side (plan B was to follow my
compass needle cross country to Miller Lake and hope I didn't miss it). GPS
and willingness to travel on snow without a trail recomended. After Tipsoo
I took the OST Alternate to Shelter Cove which was completely snow free.
Diamond peak looked snowy.

Shelter Cove to Sisters: Mostly snow free until a few miles after Elk Lake
Resort. From there all the way through the sisters until Mathieu Lake (only
a few miles from hwy 242) had about 98% snow coverage. I saw maybe 100
yards of trail in this whole stretch, though I had bare spots to camp on.
Navigation wasn't terribly difficult however, basicallly you just try to
contour at a steady elevation. The sisters are always in sight and can help
you judge distance. Still, GPS recommended and willingness to trash over
suncups endlessly with no hope of a trail absolutely required.

The view north: The low spots look good, but the peaks all have quite a bit
of snow. I'm considering taking a few days to let things melt, but the snow
pack is heavy and getting heavier northward for sure.

Disclaimer: I have quite a bit of map/compass experience and actually kind
of like trashing around semi-lost in the snow (Though I would bring a GPS
if I had one). It's consolidated and mushy right now so no real postholing
or sliding out of control. The suncups are very tiring though.  Be safe out
there, don't expect any easy miles, and if you're worried or nervous wait a
couple weeks.

Hope that helps,

Veg