[pct-l] Journaling on the trail

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Mon Jul 7 15:24:54 CDT 2014

One aspect of my recent shakedown hike was to try my hand at journaling on the trail using my I-Phone. The results were totally unsatisfactory. "Typing" with two thumbs on a screen just did not work for me-I may as well of been using elbows. And as I painstakingly sought to capture my thoughts in an efficiency of words, I  watched my I-Phone bleed out its precious battery life one percent at a time.

I have considered carrying an i-pad or other such device. Although not perfect, the larger electronic keyboard allows me to type at a reasonable rate. But this clearly raises issues of weight, additional  power issues, and a diva piece of gear that requires special handling. I have thought about dictating entries and sending the audio files to someone to transcribe, but would of course loose the aspect of editing (unless I want to significantly delay posts and review them in town). A dragon-speak type software would be great, but I believe everything out there requires a network connection to function. I have thought about journaling the old fashion way of paper and pen, but to get posts online means a duplication of effort.

How have others addressed this? Is the common method to just to type out the entry using your smart phone? I suppose with practice I will get faster, but I think it will always be very limiting for me.
FYI, for power I have used the Suntactics battery and was pleased with its ability to provide multiple recharges of the phone. I question how well it will do in recharging a larger device more than once.

Thanks all.

Herb

Herb Stroh  |  Partner
Sinsheimer Juhnke McIvor & Stroh, LLP
1010 Peach Street  |  PO Box 31  |  San Luis Obispo, CA  93406
P 805 541 2800  |  F 805 541 2802
HStroh at sjmslaw.com<mailto:HStroh at sjmslaw.com>   |  www.sjmslaw.com<http://www.sjmslaw.com/>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: ATTORNEY/CLIENT COMMUNICATION
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments thereto.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.