[pct-l] Trees Down in Section L

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 14:00:20 CDT 2014

David wrote:
There is a very large (60") tree across the trail in the mini-canyon about a mile
north of FR 7, which is absolutely blocking to stock.    It looks like it's been
there a while, making me wonder if it was left there intentionally.     How did
Mendorider get through?

Reply:
A 60" tree is not a trivial matter when it comes to clearing blow down, it's a standalone, complex project in its own right.  Trees aren't intentionally left on the trail.  Clearing such a large tree - if the reported size is accurate at 5 feet in diameter, is an extremely difficult job to do, even if its a log with little complexity, say just laying there, evenly supported on flat to gently sloping ground with nothing to obstruct the cut piece from moving.  If there are complicating factors, like it's up in the air, was bent significantly as it fell (e.g. "bind"), might "stand up" when cut, has pivots, or is on steeper ground....well, the complexity factor goes up tremendously and may require a hired, professional saw team, which takes time to arrange.  The reported location is outside of Wilderness, so chainsaw is a possibility.  That said, the biggest chain saw on our crew (North 350 Blades here in Washington) is a 28" bar, which would be
 inadequate for a 60" tree.  We have some long crosscut saws in our cache which could handle a 60" tree.....barely, but those would have to be with "single bucking", which is far more laborious.  To "double buck" such a large log, you'd need a crosscut saw about 11 feet long....and then build platforms on either side of the log to stand on.  Even single bucking, you'd want about a 7 foot saw.

With a log that large, simply moving a cut piece is a challenge in it's own right and might require a grip hoist, which is another certified position, besides the sawyer.

Here's some pictures of a 50" that one of the masters of the crosscut
(Dolly Chapman) cleared:
http://www.crosscutsawyer.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=383
Scroll through those and you'll get only a hint at how difficult it is to clear such large trees.

David wrote:
There are way too many trees to clear,

Response:
There are never too many trees to clear, just not enough people willing to volunteer their time in adequate amounts to become trained and experienced enough to do the clearing in a safe manner and to standard.  One weekend in 2011, our crew (~12 people) cleared 70 trees in 2 days (no 4 to 5 footers, of course, but multiple 2 footers and a pile of smaller ones)....and that was before we were trained and certified to use chainsaws.  Your local trail crew can train you.  They have the tools.  All they want is YOU to choose to be part of the solution, instead of throwing up your hands in despair.

Not directed at David, but a further, general comment to the list, especially to those advocating for water caches, and doing "magic":
If
 folks wishing to "help the hikers" would spend less time and effort on needless water caches (yes, in fact, ZERO is the number of "needed" water caches on the PCT), needless and countless "magic" - sodas, beers and burgers, none of which has a lasting impact, and more time in caring for the trail, you'd, in my view, provide far more meaningful help to the hikers and equestrians.  To paraphrase, "Give a hiker a soda, they're happy for the hour.
Provide them with good trail, they're happy for the entire hike."  No
amount of soda's, beers and burgers will make up for uncleared blow down, uncut brush and unrepaired tread damage.  The '77 crew (and thousands of others since then) made it through just fine without caches, without the swarm of magic, etc.  Future hikers can do it just fine like they did.

Here's a concrete example of food and drink compared to trail crew:  Our trail crew scouted south of Snoqualmie Pass June 19th looking for winter blow down and damage.  We walked over sections
of trail we worked at some our first projects in 2010.  The work we did then and in subsequent years,
 the improved trail conditions, were still providing a hugely improved
hiking experience compared to what it was
 before the crew did its work.  The 2014 hikers will benefit the same as the
2010 hikers did (as did the 2011 hikers, and 2012, and 2013, and as will the 2015 and beyond).  That in my mind is the real payoff of "trail crew as
magic" compared to food / drink.   A day spent brushing or doing tread work back then has
benefited every hiker to pass that way since, literally thousands
 of hikers, and will continue to benefit thousands of hikers for years to come.   As we wrapped a 3 day brushing project in 2012 and were driving out, we passed by folks dishing magic at Stampede Pass - turns out they were there as long as we were.  We had at most a few dozen hikers pass during those 3 days.  The benefit provided by the trail crew from those particular 3 days of "helping the hikers" is still there to this day in the form of a mile and a half of what used to be chest high brush that is now clear trail.  The magic providers impact isn't, gone the moment they left - if you missed them by 5 minutes, they may as well have never been there.  It's not that the soda folks hearts or motives were in the wrong place, they weren't, but I'd suggest that they could have acted on those positive motives in a different manner, one that would have a far greater, longer term impact - strategic, lasting improvements for all the hikers then and into
 the future, instead of a fleeting, ephemeral event that benefited but a few.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration.

YMMV.  HYOH.  MYOM (Magic Your Own Magic).  IMO.  2 cents.