[pct-l] Donna Saufley/Hiker Heaven Stance on Trail Angel Fundraising

kevin at kegphoto.com kevin at kegphoto.com
Thu Jul 10 12:26:59 CDT 2014

As a former member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association, we would be
invited to participate in something similar.  However, by design, VERY
limited information was made publicly available to members of the
association:  a phone number, your city, and what services you were
willing to provide.  No names, no addresses, etc...  It was up to you
receiving the call if you wanted to / were able to help out.

If someone is trying to build a network of trail angel information, I
might suggest looking at this BMW MOA model.  It affords TAs the
anonymity they rightly desire (and rightly deserve!) as well as giving
hikers a resource should they actually 'need' the help of a willing and
able angel.

The only money involved was the membership fee to the BMW MOA, and the
little directory was a bonus for joining.  Anything beyond that was
sorted out between the rider and the volunteer host ("road angel?")

This is probably something the PCTA would be more than capable of
compiling with the willing TAs, without adding another organization to
the mix.

My .02.