[pct-l] Selective criticism of trail help

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Thu Jul 10 12:51:57 CDT 2014

There is some truth to what you say, but cutting a downed tree doesn't cause
animals to raid a hiker box.  Water, well, okay, but food left for hikers is
only inviting animals to strew it all over.  If people want to meet hikers
and help them, go for it, but take the trash out with you.  Before GPS, we
used maps, and still do, so using a GPS doesn't make it an "impure" hike.
My concern is the number of hikers out there that are unprepared and relying
on water caches and other trail magic.  I have seen hikers raid boxes
instead of bringing their own food.  Sure, take something if it will make
your hike better, but don't expect to find all your trail amenities.  Plan,
plan, plan for the worst and enjoy the best.
Golly