[pct-l] (no subject)

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 13:04:41 CDT 2014

I want to know why no one is talking about the huge external frame
backpack in that trailer.  It looks like photos I've seen of our PCT
'77 alumni.  I've personally never seen a pack that big on the PCT.
I've seen them on other trails on people doing short distances though.
But its so rare to see an external frame anymore.  I have my doubts
about going over 1000 miles in one unless they were young and strong.
Especially doing so while watching most hikers with much smaller and
lighter packs constantly passing you.  That would have to be a huge
morale crusher.

Did she really use a pack that big, or is this just a case of
Hollywood using it as a prop because they think a pack like that
matches the average person's perceptions about backpacking?  Which we
all know were mostly formed from 70's era movies and TV shows.  Tiny
packs just don't give that feeling of suffering that backpacking is
all about.  ;-)

-Miner