[pct-l] Mosquitoes in southern Oregon

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Thu Jul 17 14:32:10 CDT 2014

I was hiking on the Mt. McLoughlin Trail off the PCT north of Fish
Lake and the mosquitoes were horrendous in the area below Freye Lake.
We basically had to throw everything in the truck and rapidly depart
from the trailhead at the end of the day. We camped a few drainages
west, with no mosquito problems, however, and they disappeared up on
the slopes of Mt. McLoughlin. We encountered thru hiker Burning
Daylight. He was the first thru I've contacted this year that has gone
straight thru from Mexico to here with no skips.
--Fireweed