[pct-l] SoBoing in SoCal questions: water caches, hammocking vs. shelter/cowboy camping, rain?

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Jul 21 12:14:23 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:33 AM, K <ilikepeace at gmail.com> wrote:
> In general, are most of the water caches still in place for September?

I don't think so, but others may know better than I.

> Is there considerably less natural water in southern california in september?

There is almost no natural surface water in SoCa in September. If it
doesn't come from a bottle or a faucet, you aren't going to find it,
especially not this year.

> Will it ever rain/snow in Southern California in September?  Is it a waste
> to bring rain gear in Southern California?

SoCal has a lot more variation than the rest of the trail because you
go from blazing hot desert to alpine 6-8,000ft mountains, over and
over again, and the weather varies with the terrain. It is almost
certain that it will not snow in September, which is often one of the
hottest, driest months in SoCal.

Typically in August, in the mountains of SoCal significant "monsoon"
rains are common. They may also happen in September. I would carry
rain gear, and at least a tarp as a shelter.

> but I'm a
> bit worried about rattlesnakes.  Is it smart to have an enclosed shelter in
> the desert to avoid rattlesnake and the small chance of precipitation?

Your only worry about being bitten by a rattlesnake is if you step on
one: they aren't going to bother you in your sleep. They are more
frightened of you than you are of them.

It is a good idea, at least in the desert, to shake out your
boots/shoes before you put them on it the morning, as small critters
have been known to use them as nice warm, damp shelters at night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFcfdjiNZk0