[pct-l] Some WA- questions: mosquitos, transport and resuplly

Sabine Schroll vet at schroll.at
Sun Jul 20 06:39:12 CDT 2014

hi folks

first email didn't get through ... do again:

I am planning my hike on the WA-PCT starting in about 2 weeks from Cascade
Locks:

1 - mosquito situation

in a few weeks I will be back on the trail doing the section from Cascade
Locks to Canada.
In order to keep my packweight low - are there still mosquitos around in WA
in august?

Last year in OR I was quite happy to have my Skyscape and set it up even for
my long lunch break and the nights as the mosquitos came with their full
army. In CA in 2012 I had only a bug canopy for some nights. While hiking I
never used any deet or bugnet so far.
So - I can tolerate them most of the time, but not when they come in
thousands to sleep with me.

What is the situation with mosquitos usually in august in WA - possible to
predict? Would I risk to be really unhappy without a bug protection for the
night?

2- how the get to the trail from Portland > Cascade Locks

I heard there is a public transport from Portland to Cascade Locks - but
couldn't find any information on the Internet?
Hitching from CL to PDX last year was a matter of minutes - where would be a
good place in Portland to hitch a ride back to CL? I will arrive in PDX on
8/6 - doing all shopping and packing on 8/7, going to CL either thursday
(7th) evening or friday (8th) early morning.
If someone could give me a ride I would pay my share for the gas, off
course.

3- Resupply - Trout Lake isn't recommended because of diffult hitch?
As I need to get my trail legs I would like to have a resupply in Trout
Lake, but if it is overall not recommended I would carry the food til White
Pass.

thanks and see you out there!
WaSabi

IKARUS anti.virus hat diese E-Mail auf Viren, Trojaner und andere Malware
untersucht.
Nichts Verdachtiges gefunden.

Keine Anlagen gefunden.