[pct-l] Cheryl Strayed's Pack in Wild

Carol museumgirl at me.com
Fri Jul 25 13:30:30 CDT 2014

Ned, I want to thank you for your last two messages-- this one and the next one, about your perspective on how backpacking has changed over the last forty years. Experience like yours and that of others on the list is invaluable.
I have been doing short hikes with a purposely heavier day pack (not filled with chains like Scott does, but still...!) I tend to carry all my tension in my neck and shoulders, so the internal framed packs I've used exacerbate that problem. My instinct has been to try to shift that weight to my hips, but with little success. It is nice to know that external framed packs work on that principle. My question about that is, is it possible to carry an "ultralight' kit in an external frame pack, then add extra weight as needed (extra food and water when supplies are scarce, mountain equipment in the Sierra, for example) ? How does a pack like that ride when a heavier load isn't necessary?
Carol

Sent from my iPhone