[pct-l] Section C water in late summer Pct-L Digest, Vol 79, Issue 26

Halmargolis at aol.com Halmargolis at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 15:58:15 CDT 2014

Fred writes: ....Does anyone out there have any experience with Section C
(1-10 to 1-15) in late August/early September...specifically, any remaining
water sources--those typically running year around?...

------

I agree with Michael's response.  Here's what I know. Scattered  short
showers are typical from Big Bear to Splinters in the summer.  I was  up in the
area from Caribou Creek at Van Dusen Rd (274) to Deep Creek at  Splinters
(297) a couple times in July this year.  Summer temps along the  route are
typically okay above 6,000' despite high temps in the basin  below.  4,500' to
6,000 are typically warm but below 4,500' climbing  mid day can be really
exhausting.

Water: Caribou Creek had a bit of water by the little foot bridge.   There
was also a cache of about 10 gallons closer to Van Dusen Rd put there  by
"Jim."  Alas! The faucet at Little Bear Springs CG (285)  was  dry as was the
horse spa. Holcomb Creek was running at Bench Camp (ca  295).  Deep Creek at
the bridge (297) had plenty of water and  pools. Deep Creek Hot Springs
(307), as Michael implied, is   perennial.

As I sometimes get back to the area for an overnight or two, you may try to
 contact me regarding conditions.

Hal "Green Hornet" Margolis