[pct-l] Data Book Discrepancies

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 17:32:32 CDT 2014

Before there was all this lovely help, we used maps and then later the WP guidebooks. Before there were water caches we carried enough water to get to the next creek. We used map wheels to estimate distances. It was all just stuff to learn. Just like now people learning about what solar charger to use. It's all about what skills you want at your fingertips. I don't know a lot of things that hikers know now. Wouldn't have any idea how to blog from the trail. But I like knowing how to walk from Canada to Mexico(CDT) without a GPS.  There was a guy behind me on the trail (in 94)who did it without maps or guidebooks and thought it silly to imagine one would even need them. " Just follow the trail,you can't get lost"he told me at the Gathering. Marmot

Sent from my iPhone