[pct-l] Data Book Discrepancies

Walljito ... as in mojito walljito at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 13:45:20 CDT 2014

Ultimately, the "best" source of PCT information is whichever has the most
reliable info for where you are relative to where you need to go ... next
... that next water source, camping spot, resupply stop, etc ... where you
always need to know how much water and/or food is enough to avoid
unnecessary weight ... or where an "error" of  a tenth of a mile (500+ feet)
could preclude being able to easily/reliably find something like a poorly
marked trail junction in heavy growth,  or just staying on the PCT trail
where there is a choice, or even a spaghetti-bowl of choices.

The combination of (1) Halfmile's maps, (2) Halfmile's PCT app on a
smartphone, and (3) Yogi's guide for the nature/quality of that next
objective plus an abundance of related information ... is superb ... vast,
detailed info very effectively presented ... and absolutely accurate - if
the "app" says you are there, you are within a FEW FEET - forget tenths of a
mile ... and consistent - these sources have the same numbers, eliminating
the stress of which to believe. Combined with the current water report, it's
also as "current" as it is possible to be.

I met Halfmile at Cajon Pass a few weeks ago. Really nice guy! He was thru
hiking and updating his waypoints ... again. And, it's obvious, a lot of
hikers are providing Yogi with update info for the tail, towns, facilities,
etc., for her annual updates. PCT hikers are lucky that Halfmile and Yogi do
what they do, and I cannot imagine how it could be done better.

The Guthook PCT app is also high quality info, and the presentation is
GREAT. If you have a high-capacity cell phone, it's worth having as an
interesting ADDITION to the above.

Of course, it is possible, I suppose, to hike the PCT with little or none of
such information, i.e.,  the "hard way" and in ignorance which some on this
listserv seem to suggest is the "right way", but I expect that would result
in not nearly as enjoyable an experience for the vast majority of hikers.
And, as Andrea Dinsmore suggests, just because you know exactly where you
are does not mean you will like being there. HYOH

-Walljito