[pct-l] Latest start time going SOBO?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 18:55:10 CDT 2014

IceCave wrote:

Well I had to get off trail at Kearsarge Pass a couple days ago to fly home
to Canada. I'm planning on re-starting SOBO as soon as I get better. What
would the latest recommended start date be? And how difficult is it to get
to the border monument? I have heart goto hearts pass, any way to get closer
and hike a different pass in?

Well, you probably don't have a lot of time to rest, unfortunately.  People
wanting to do a border-to-border SOBO hike usually start around the end of
June (i.e. right now).  The limiting factor is getting through the Sierra
before it's shut down by snow which usually happens in October-ish, but
maybe someone else can be more precise.

The closest you can drive to the northern monument from the U.S. side is
Harts Pass.  From there you have to hike north to the border then turn
around and hike back south again.  It's not legal to enter the U.S. from
Canada on the PCT and the Border Patrol has warned that they're watching.
Kind of sucks but that's the way it is.

Eric