[pct-l] Bear cans/bags

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Mar 3 22:33:15 CST 2014

> Save the whole bear discussion for
someone else cause I've heard and seen it all...

Well, David Schroeder/Dr.Dave, since you've "heard and seen it all" you should already know the answer (!)...
A quick search or inquiry of any of the agencies the JMT passes through would tell you that bear "bags" (i.e., Ursacks or 'similar') are NOT acceptable, as Brick pointed out.

If you want to go "lighter", carry one less quart of water  ;-)  - that will make up for most of a canister's weight (if not more for a Bearikade or small BearVault)...
I've "heard and seen it all", too - and the "weight" argument for NOT using a canister is shallow and shows a lack of understanding of (or sympathy for) the primary reason for the canister requirements and selfish short-sightedness.

Jim (PITA)