[pct-l] Northern Washington Snow

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Mar 4 23:40:34 CST 2014

Hey, this is Ned Tibbits from Mountain Education checking in from the
town of Skykomish, Washington!

I woke up this morning at the Dinsmore's Hiker Haven Dorm having
experienced a wild night of heavy rain! Jerry and Andrea have up to 12
inches of snow in their driveway and about 4 inches of water sitting
everywhere else! Everyone is dry, but the weather man says that the
river outside should be near flood stage later this week!

I got the chance to do a little recon up on Stevens Pass and found out
that the ski area has received about 10 feet of snow in the last 10
days!

I should be able to post some photos of the area on both the Mountain
Education Facebook page and that of the PCT Class of 2014 soon, so
watch for them!

We just finished two Snow Basics Courses in the Three Sisters
Wilderness of Oregon where we received a little over a foot of new
snow on the tents and probably as much rain, as well! I've got to say,
I've never taught Self-Arrest skills in the rain before!! (not my
first choice of things to do!)

Ned
Mountain Education