[pct-l] Friends looking to do a section hike

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 16:00:04 CST 2014

My experience is from the thru-hiker and the section hiker's point of view.

As the thru-hiker, it was monumentally difficult to slow down to adjust my pace to my section hiker. I was strong, the altitude didn't bother me, I enjoyed hiking long days, I wanted my camp spot to be a good spot and my idea of good was completely different from a typical section hiker's idea of good (I preferred mid-slope, waterless stealth camps and most section hikers prefer lakes and creeks which I find to be buggy and cold.) I know for a fact that I made life difficult for the hiker that visited me.

The next time I met my section hiker on the trail I completely missed him and we did not end up hiking together. Make sure you have a plan for what to do if you miss each other and follow the plan.

As the section hiker who met the thru-hiker, I have to tell you it was an exciting thing to do. Not only was a logistical feat to pull off (I drove 3 days to Wyoming to meet CDT hikers in the Winds), I got to play trail angel and bring everybody food. Hikers love people who bring food. It was hard to meet up. We missed each other initially so I just hid all their food in the outhouse at the trailhead, posted a note at the trailhead and set off on the trail to do the backpack trip alone. I bumped into a horse packer on the trail and he told me I'd missed everybody and that I should go back to the trailhead. I ran all the way back so I wouldn't miss them again!

They hiked very fast and fairly long each day. They said they'd use me as an excuse to slow down and enjoy what was supposed to be the best part of the trail, but they really didn't slow down very much. I was in pretty good shape and could take whatever they dished out, even if it was difficult and more than I wanted to do. My trip ended up being a lot shorter than I had hoped it would be so it was a bit of a disappointment to have it end so quickly.

All this is to say that any part of the Sierras is going to be a nice 4-5 day section but sadly, 4-5 days will mean one thing to you and something totally different for them. Consider combining a resupply with the meet-up so it's easier to find each other and socialize and so that you can use the exit/entry point to add additional distance to make the days fit, in other words, to make what is a short distance on the PCT into a longer distance that actually will stretch 4-5 days for them. Do be flexible on the direction you travel and where you exit/enter with them. They might not be able to get permits allowing for a South-to-North journey and their first choices might not be available. The permit process is pretty difficult for section hikers in that area. They can reserve online but must pick up the permit the day they are to head out on the trail.

Anyway, some ideas are:
The South Lake/North Lake loop around Bishop Pass
Bishop Pass to Duck Pass (Duck pass is pretty easy, Bishop is a challenge)
Some trailhead around Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows and down into Yosemite Valley (you want to complete the JMT while you're out there, right?)