[pct-l] Click-n-Ship

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:57:03 CDT 2014

My experience is vintage 2012; the USPS may have changed some of the below
protocols and eliminated some of my frustrations.

I sent some of my boxes via Priority Mail from my USPS account via
click-and-ship. When it worked, it worked well, especially when the PO
picks up your box at home. One can set up your USPS account address book
such that it contains all your resupply destination. However, be careful.
In order to click-and-ship, your USPS origination / destination must be a
"USPS Authorized Zip Code" / address. Such a zip code includes a VERY, VERY
SPECIFIC ADDRESS plus the zip code. One typo, one unauthorized abbreviation
and you're cooked. You need the "USPS Authorized Zip Code" /address for
both the address from where you're sending to the destination address.

I entered what I thought to be "USPS Authorized Zip Codes" / addresses in
my USPS account / address book only to learn later when I went to
click-and-ship that some of those address destinations were NOT a "USPS
Authorized Zip Code" /address. In 2012 one could only click-and-ship for
outgoing mail only for the next day outgoing delivery. In 2012, one could
not set up a shipping schedule / print labels 5 months in advance.

So you're on the trail and say someone else is click-and-shipping from your
account. Remember, you might not have the correct "USPS Authorized Zip
Code" in your address book. And my experience was that it can be an ordeal
to search the USPS website for the "USPS Authorized Zip Code" / address.
And phoning the USPS for why your labels won't print might generate ~~
after waiting 30 minutes on-hold and then another 30 minutes ~~ "gee, I
don't know why your label won't print." My wonderful wife just threw in the
towel and took the boxes down to the PO for mailing.

At Timberline Lodge, I spent about 2 hours trying to print a label for a
gift box to be mailed to a trail angel. No one knew at the Lodge knew the
"USPS Authorized Zip Code" / address for the Timberline Lodge. It was not
on any of their letter head, etc. It was an ordeal to finally track it down
on a very slow connection. It turned out that more than one label was
printed / charged to my credit card. But if you know where to look under a
hidden rock under a buried tree in your account, one can "cancel" a label
that is not used and obtain a credit card reimbursement in about 3 weeks.

Hopefully some one on the list can provide additional and updated info.

Good luck!

be hope