[pct-l] Wind Shell + Rain Shell

Chris Martin hopeforgorilla at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:54:35 CDT 2014

Anyone thru-hiked with a wind shirt AND a rain jacket? Each serves a
different purpose, so it's easy to make the case for carrying both: one
sheds wind yet breathes well, the other keeps you dry when it rains).

BUT, leaving one behind would save 5-10 precious ounces off my base weight.
I could carry just a wind shell, and hunker down in my shelter when it
rains. Or, I could carry just a rain shell, and deal with suboptimal
breathability when I want to keep warm on windy/cold days.

Perhaps the best compromise is a wind shell for the dry parts of the trail
(SoCal), and a rain shell for the wetter parts (Cascades). What say you,
PCT-L?

Chris